Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Completing the Quest ... but what's Next?

Wow! It's been a while since I had time to add to this blog and lots of things have been going on with my Quest for 31 over the past several weeks. I ended the season in December, two days after Christmas, at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans. Donning a Marques Colston jersey with shoulder pads and spiked-studded arm guards, I reconfigured my JokeRaider costume from Oakland to include metallic gold facepaint, thereby transforming me into the Who Dat JOker. The lime green hair garnered lots of attention and I was able to capitalize on some local media as well while in town. The Times-Picayune in New Orleans and Star Tribune in Minneapolis did features on my Quest and three of the local affiliates down in New Orleans sent camera crews to interview me as I completed my four year journey. It was nice to finally be recognized for this passion of mine that's taken me all around the country in search of thirty-two unique home team experiences. The journey's end is bitter sweet.

I'm constantly asked what my next step or my next challenge will be. With pause, I respond that I think I'll attack the NHL and NBA Arenas next. Maybe, try to see a home game in each of those pro sports venues and write about my experiences as a fan of NBA Basketball and NHL Hockey. It will be at a much less aggressive pace, but it would be incredible to continue to follow in the mighty footsteps of Peter Farrell and Andrew Kulyk who are the ultimate questers, having traveled to every major sports venue in the nation. I'd also like to continue Questing for 31. As new stadiums are built, I gotta be there. As old friends around the league continue to send invitations, I'll be there. There's only one Commissioner of Tailgating and he is an exceptional mentor that's seen and done things I can't hope to achieve, but perhaps I can continue to hold the torch of Questing high, and in my own way, work to contribute to the sense of unity that is NFL tailgating.

No comments: