Thursday, June 18, 2009

It Lives ... For Now

They say writing is therapudic ... I guess it might be. Generally when the tribulations of life stike, its good to have a sounding board, and what better board than the one that can't respond. I should write more often in the Quest blog, but too many other things find a way to consume my time. Like this ...

I continue to have issues with the Quest mobile, now in its 241,000th mile, there's all types of really severe issues that continue to creep up. We spent the winter tearing into the engine and replacing parts as we worked our way out of a timing chain issue ... and I'm talking blisteringly cold winter ... out in the driveway chasing nuts and bolts and the wind blows them away. It was miserable experience, but it's done. Now it appears the latest issue with the Quest-mobile is the rear axle. This one we've decided not to tackle on our own, which bears its own financial burdens in the form of a $1000 repair bill. I keep telling myself that it's just this issue or that issue that separates me from full functionality. The Quest-mobile is like an old dog, it's like part of the family, it's been with me throughout my Quest for 31 journey, racking up mega-miles as I criss-crossed the country visiting stadium after stadium. It's been dependable, its been a part of the journey, it's been a vehicle I really enjoy driving. The question is, just like the dilema that Timmy faced when looking at old yeller, when exactly is it really time to shoot the bastard in the head? I guess for now, I'll continue to follow my mantra and figure that this is the last major repair and then it will be good to go for a while. We'll see...

No comments: